Wednesday, January 23, 2013

5 Networking Lessons I Learned from Bartending


Networking
‪If you’re looking to take your career to the next level, networking is a must. To be honest, networking is something I found a bit uncomfortable but necessary. How I got over it was drawing upon the lessons I learned as a bartender.‬

‪1.) Figure out who’s paying the bill. While I treated everyone well, (that’s just how the hospitality industry rolls!) figuring out who’s paying the bill pays off. When you go to an industry event, try to find that “bill payer” or shall we say host, and be on their radar. This can open you up to vast opportunities. For example, Fresh Tilled Soil hosts many events; seeking out their team can lead to more opportunities than just sitting in the audience.‬

‪2.) Talk to everyone... In bar tending, I tended to talk to everyone. First, to figure out who the bill payer was, second I am not a fan of uncomfortable or awkward silence and lastly because I know a simple conversation can lead to opportunity. In fact, I landed my first “professional” job at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island by serving the HR recruiter lunch. Through conversations, he found out I’m not a hospitality major (as many tend to think about JWU alumni) and I ended up landing a marketing internship!‬

‪3.) ...and be a good listener. It’s been said that your bartender is cheaper than therapy. That’s because good bartenders know listening is more important than talking. Listening is also good strategy when you don’t have much to say. If you’re shy, start off by introducing yourself and asking am open question such as “What brings you here tonight?” or “What do you do for work?” Hopefully, you can sit back and coast!‬

4.) A good deed goes along way. The best experiences in the hospitality industry are the unexpected surprises. Helping a fellow employee or giving a customer something extra with no agenda builds trust and credibility. In Boston, “Pay it forward” has become a sign of the times. When networking, pay it forward and help when you can. Some my greatest connections are thanks to people who had no self serving interest and believe me, I have not forgotten any of those people and if they need anything I am there to help.‬

‪4.) Never discuss sports, politics or religion. I know it’s a hard thing to do when one of those topics is in the news, but just don’t do it. When you are meeting someone for the first time, you don’t know anything beside what you can see. Just remember, you are there to network and make connections so unless your business involves one of the three, just stay away from those conversations. Sometimes these conversations will come up, just be neutral and find a way to change the conversation. Once you’re in like flynn and you transfer from network to friend, then feel free!‬

‪Like bartending, it’s the little details that will help you succeed at networking. Do your research, listen, be appropriate, pay it forward and you’ll be just fine!‬

No comments:

Post a Comment