Saturday, June 11, 2011

6 Ways Marketing is like Dating and how not to miss the mark!

Flipping through a magazine on my Florida bound flight; I came across an advertisement for It’s Just Lunch, a dating service for busy singles. The headline immediately caught my eye: “Great guys and women don’t circle around your block waiting for you to come out of your house. You’ve got to market yourself.” The dating scene is much like marketing. Take a look at 6 ways marketing mirrors dating and how you can learn from it.

No one is looking for you if you don’t put yourself out there.  Let’s face it – if you don’t promote yourself or your company, how will anyone know you’re out there?  In dating you might try meeting someone through a friend, going to a party and/or using an online dating service.  With marketing, you would use referrals, networking events and social media to help build up your brand.

Stand out in a crowd.  The singles scene is tough.  You have to go the extra mile to prove you’re worth a second date.  Now picture your brand, you’re looking for that certain someone, whether they be a buyer, a job prospect or a new client; you’ve got to do something that sets you apart from your competition. Risk free trials, webinars, eBooks and relevant content are ways to set you apart from your competition.

First appearances mean everything.
We’ve all heard the phrase, “don’t judge a book by its cover.” Can you honestly say you follow that advice? I’ve had friends try to set me up on a date with their friends. They give me the name and I go instantly to facebook, if I don’t like what I see I’m all set.  The same thing goes for when I am looking for a new product or service. I start by going to Google, entering a key phrase and looking at websites.  If a website doesn’t look appealing content or design wise; I click back to Google and continue my search.

Clear communication is essential. 
Would you go on a second date with a person who gives you basic answers to your questions?  Now think about your marketing materials. Is your marketing content generic or engaging? Do you clearly convey to your audience how your product or service can help them? If your marketing isn’t clear, your brand might tend to be staying in the singles scene.

Don’t lose yourself trying to please someone.  
You never want to come off being someone you’re not on a date, the truth will eventually find its way to the forefront. Same goes for your business, don’t lose site of your brand trying to appeal to a demographic; it will just come off as false and disingenuous.

Face your fears.  
Everyone fears rejection, whether it’s a first date or your first meeting.  You must conquer your fears to be successful. Take your fears and use them as challenges to only make you and your business smarter.

Marketing is tough, but if you’ve lived the singles scene I’m sure you’ll be just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment